Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Men in my life....

I have two men to recognize on this Father Day 2011. One being my Dad of course and the other my husband of almost 5 years. I love them both but for very different reasons. They haven't always been a constant in my life but I am blessed to have them both active in it now.

My Dad and I have never been close. He was in the Navy for most of my childhood. He missed out on a lot, sleepovers, graduation, prom, dating. But when he was home it was nice to have the change. I never resented him for having the job he had. I was always proud to say that my Dad was in the military. I knew what he was doing was important. When he retired I thought maybe we'd grow closer but by the time he retired I was a grown woman. I had a job and was ready to be out on my own. I got married and started having kids. Then he and my mom divorced and for the past few years even though he lives across town we really haven't spoken. I wont go into the gory details this is not the time for that. I will just say that I didn't like how things were handled. In the last year or so my Dad has been calling more and coming around more and I like it. I like to visit and I know how much he enjoys seeing the grand kids. Maybe we will continue to build our relationship. I love my Dad and I'm glad hes close by.

My husband is Michael Ryan. I have loved him for a LONG time now. Almost since the day I saw him. He also has not been a constant but in the last 5 years I have seen a great transformation. When we started dating in 1994 we were kids. We dated off and on for years. Hes always been very independent. When I wanted to get married he didn't so we went our separate ways. It took almost 7 years for us to reunite. In that time I got married and had a son. When we rejoined in late 2005 I wasn't sure how he would feel about an "instant" family. But he told me that he had talked to his Grandma Nan about it and felt sure that he was up for the challenge. That he could love a child that wasn't his. It took another 7 months for us to finally get back together. His proposal was so simple. I went over to his apartment after we'd been broken up for about 3 months and he said " all I want to do is get married." I, of course said yes. After 10 years I was finally going to get to be with him. We were married in September of 2006. By February I was pregnant with our first child. He was ecstatic. I watched him start to change things about himself. Ive been watching him change our lives for the better. I'm sure that there are still those out there who know him and still think hes this irresponsible, kid who cant get his stuff together. But they don't see him at home with me and the kids. Hes patient where I am not always. Hes loving with the kids. He teaches them things that I may not think of. Hes been working a steady job now for almost 4 years at a place I know is hard. He busts his butt everyday to provide for us. He comes home most nights exhausted. Hes also looking for ways to improve our lives. Something not many other men don't even consider because they claim it takes too much time. Yes its been difficult him being involved in school when he could be spending time with us but I know in the long run it will be worth it. He concerned about our health and fitness. He has visions for what our family could be. Of course he has faults. Hes no angel but I'm not going to talk about those here. This is a day for reflecting on the good things about the Dads in our lives. Michael may not be perfect none of us are. But hes my husband and I wouldn't have him any other way. The same can also be said about my own Dad. Hes not perfect either but hes what God gave me and I'm trying to maintain a relationship with him.

Lets take today to reflect on why we love the men in our lives. Whether it good or bad. To think about not what we can change about them but what we can embrace and learn from them.

Dad, Michael, I love you both very much and I thank God for both of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment