Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Empowering My Daughter







I have seen some recent activity about the topic of feminism and what it means for Christian women. In the past few weeks I have had a discussion with an old pastor of mine regarding the notion of submission to my husband. I was asking him what exactly this means and what it is that I am supposed to be doing. After a nice long talk and an explanation that made sense I felt secure that I was indeed "doing my duty" so to speak. I told Michael long ago that I would not be a doormat or his puppet. He concurred and said that he likes that I am outspoken and independent and not to change a thing. 


 I was raised to be a strong, independent woman. A woman who didn't need to rely on any man to take care of her or do things for her. Maybe this comes from my dad being in the military and never home or maybe it was because my grandmother didn't want her girls to be walked all over. My grandmother was one of 14 children. If I remember correctly only one or two of the girls went onto high school. My grandmother only had an 8th grade education because her father said "there's no point in me sending the girls onto high school because all girls do is get married and have babies". This mentality makes me sick. This notion that girls are only here on earth to breed children and serve men. My great grandfather was a womanizer and an alcoholic. My grandmother went on to indeed get married and have 4 daughters. She also worked at a bank and a department store. The money she made was used to remodel the house and other things my grandfather thought were pointless. She was an amazing woman who always told me I could be anything I wanted and do anything I wanted regardless of me being a woman.


I have always thought myself to be a feminist. I looked up the definition of feminist: advocating social, political, legal, and economic rights for women equal to those of men. 


I like the idea that I can empower my daughter to be anything she wants. Do anything she wants. That just because shes a woman doesn't mean she has to be less. Ill be supportive of whatever she wants to do or be. If she chooses to be a stay at home mom Ill support her. If she chooses to never have children and focus on something shes passionate about Ill support her. But under no circumstances do I want her to ever believe that she is only here to have kids and serve a man (other than God).


I don't want to be misunderstood here, I love my husband. I love God and try to follow his teachings accordingly. But no where in the bible does it say that I have to be his puppet. That I cant have a mind of my own. I do things for Michael BECAUSE I love him. Because I WANT to. Never have I felt like I was somehow his servant or the children's maid. Michael allows me to be me. He is amazing. He is balance for me. He keeps me grounded. He keeps me sane. He knows how to calm me like no other and in the same hand he can enrage me like no other. We have a healthy relationship. One I hope and pray that my daughter will find someday too. 


Do I want my daughter to get married? Yes. I think all mothers dream of their daughters picking out wedding dresses and walking down the isle. Do I want Emma to have kids? Of course. I think all mothers dream of grandchildren. I want Emma to be and do what she wants. Just like I want that for my boys. I want her to be her. I love her so much. I love watching her grow and learn and I look forward to the years ahead.


Thank you Lord for my daughter. She is a precious gift. Lead me to raise her as you see fit. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I was hoping my name would be in there somewhere. What you learned from my mother, I learned from her first and taught to you and your sisters. I wanted the same thing for my daughters what you want for Emma.

    ReplyDelete