Friday, September 30, 2011

Wood and Daisies

                              Michael and I before his prom in 1996

Wood and daisies are traditional gifts given for the 5th anniversary. Five years ago today at this time I was preparing to marry the love of my life. I met Michael Ryan Morrison in 1993. I met him at Carbondale Baptist Church and almost instantly I was in love with him. He has always had a hold on me. Ive always been amused and mesmerized by him. We dated off and on for years, starting in 1995 when we sat on the back porch of his uncles house on fourth of July and talked about getting married someday. It took 10 years for us to finally get together permanently. In those 10 years I married and had a baby and Michael used that time to grow up a bit.  

In early 2005 I left my first husband due to him finding another. For me it was a blessing and a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. Within months I received an email from Michael asking me out.  I couldn't believe that after all that time he still wanted to be with me. By Christmas 2005 we were engaged. In early 2006 his grandmother passed away and he went through a lot. He was very close with her. He decided in April 2006 that we should take a three month break. I was done. At that moment I decided that I couldn't go through with it anymore, the back and forth. I had a kid now and couldn't put him through that. I told him I was done doing this. Then one day in June 2006 I checked my voicemail and I heard his voice. I melted. He was calling to tell me that he had wanted me back and would I meet him at his apartment. I called him back and met him later that day. I went into his apartment and said " I don't know what you think we have left to discuss." He said " I just want to marry you." I said "okay". And that was that. We were married in September 30th, 2006, my grandparents anniversary. They were married 70 years when my grandmother passed away. 

                           Michael and I on our wedding day. Showing off our tattoos. 

Our wedding was small but perfect. We wrote our own vows. His were great they made me cry. We had a small reception and then went to a hotel and watched tv and just hung out. When we got to the hotel he said "we should have done this 10 years ago." I said "yes but it was worth the wait."

The last 5 years have been amazing. We've added to the family twice. Our children are amazing. We've been through a lot of stuff in the last 5 years. Some good, some bad. But through it all we've had each other. We've weathered the storms and I believe we can make it through anything. I know that the next five years and beyond will be ones that will most likely have storms as well but nothing we cant handle together. He is a wonderful husband and father. 

                      Michael and I this past spring, a little older but still so in love.


We may not have a lot of money, time or things but we have each other. We have love and friendship. We have each other. Here's to a lifetime of love and laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment